Case Study Part 8 – Onpage Optimization Test
One of Matt’s Many SEO Silo Ranking Case Study:
- Case Study Part 1- The Objective
- Case Study Part 2 – Terms and Definitions
- Case Study Part 3 – Strategic Scenario
- Case Study Part 4 – Test Overview
- Case Study Part 5 – New Silo Architecture Test
- Case Study Part 6 – Site Speed Test
- Case Study Part 7 – Freebase Verify Test
- Case Study Part 8 – Onpage Optimization Test
- Case Study Part 9 – Engagement Test
Test 4: Onpage Optimization & Rank Fluctuations
As I got closer to October I noticed a drop in the visibility.
I thought to myself was I being attacked by one of Google’s algorithms, filters or manual reviewers.
I had not implemented any changes and was still watching what was happening with the freebase submission.
The first thing I did was go and look at the WR1 and started checking if everything was working and that there was no 404 errors.
Webmaster tools showed a few minor issues but no major problems.
I then went to the plugins in WordPress and discovered that Yoast pulled a fast one and disabled the yoast local seo plugin.
All the semantic mark up for my site was turned off.
Obviously I was over the moon that Yoast was trying to grab another $67 for his plugin.
So I looked at the whole scenario and figured it was time for test 4 as there was a technical issue that needed dealing with.
I proceeded to do the site audit we teach in weeks 6 & 7 in the Technical Foundations course.
- I first delete Yoasts local SEO plugin.
- Had a chat with Kevin Polley, our semantic expert and then hand coded the local markup and added it to my footer text widget. This tweak was more effective than Yoast local SEO. By removing the local SEO plugin I lightened the sites page load. The plugin pushed a whole bunch of stuff into the page head area.
- I then proceeded to add more content and clean up the sites Meta title and descriptions.
- I also optimized the sites H tags so there were no repeated H1 tags on each page. This basic SEO exercise took maybe one day but it has yielded a fair increase globally.
- I did a full site audit & maintenance routine
Let’s see how the Serps responded to the 4 test: Basic seo and site clean up.
This update happened on 1st October 2014
Just by making a few small tweaks to the pages, fluffing up the content and optimizing the Meta titles and description there was a major increase in a days and the trend is continuing to increase.
IMPORTANT: When you make on-page changes you will experience a drop in some rankings as the serps reshuffle the pages.
Don’t freak out. The sky is not falling. Give the site time to settle.
When you look back you can see the hops but the the most important point to take here is that the site is going in the right direction.
- Optimizing silo pages did improve site visibility, stabilized rankings and increased lead captured
- None as all keywords bounced back stronger
In this case study we have indicated that by adding specific COMPONENTS to the WR Framework and by taking certain ACTIONS; you can dramatically increase your websites visibility across all search engines.
We have only published our site, added a cdn, submitted the site to freebase and cleaned up our site – onpage auditing (SEO).
We already have 6 x more visibility then our competitors and that’s just on the keywords we tracking…
This is before we even get started with doing citations, WRS promotions, adding COMPONENTS like social explosion or doing domain authority stacking.
Now you can see clearly by applying silo architecture to your sites structure you create a solid foundation that stands the test of time and crushes feeble sites.
By adding the COMPONENTS we use with the silo architecture you get results & massive gains in visibility across the web even with light content.
By taking specific ACTIONS like verifying that the business is real in Freebase we encourage further gains.
Lastly, when we clearly define the intent of each page and apply basic SEO to the onpage factors you can see the effect it has on the sites visibility in the search engines.
Continue to: Case Study Part 9 – Engagement Test